Great James Street’s highly experienced immigration and family barrister Shoba Aziz presents Immigration Law Medical Applications and Appeals. This session is designed for all immigration lawyers and will look at how to prepare immigration medical applications and appeals. It will concentrate on how to prepare for Article 3 and 8 applications to the home office and appeals in the First Tier Tribunal. You will see how the case law has developed over time and what the current test is.
Relevant case law
- D v UK (1997) ECHR 25
- N v SSHD (2005) UKHL 31
- Paposhvili v Belgium (2016) ECHR 113
- AM Zimbabwe v SSHD (2020) UKSC 17
- MY (Suicide risk after Paposhvili) Occupied Palestinian Authority  UKUT 232 (IAC) (23 August 2021)
- Bensaid (2001) 33 EHRR- ECHR
- MM Zimbabwe (2012) EWCA civ 279
- Akhalu (health claim ECHR Article 8) (2013) UKUT 00400
Shoba has been instructed in some of the leading cases in this field and appears regularly before the courts in cases that raise important principles of law. She specialises in asylum, human rights and nationality matters. Shoba has been representing vulnerable appellants and victims of trafficking since 2003.